If you have been struggling to get pregnant, know that you are not alone. Believe it or not, one out of every eight couples in the United States have trouble conceiving. Infertility can be the result of both men and women and has a variety of causes. Read on to learn more about the causes and risk factors of infertility as well as what you can do to treat it and achieve your dream of becoming a parent.
Causes of Infertility
The causes of infertility differ in men and women. In men, infertility may occur because of abnormal sperm production or function, issues with the delivery of sperm, overexposure to certain environmental factors such as cigarette smoking, alcohol, and marijuana, and cancer-related damage.
In women, infertility may be present because of ovarian disorders such as polycystic ovary syndrome, abnormalities with the uterus or cervix, damage or blockage in the fallopian tubes, endometriosis, pelvic adhesions, and early menopause.
Infertility Risk Factors
The risk factors of infertility are the same for men and women and include:
- Age: As a woman gets older, her fertility gradually declines. After age 37, her fertility drastically declines because she has less and lower quality eggs. Men over age 40 may be less fertile as well.
- Smoking: When a woman or man smokes, their chances of conceiving declines. Smoking also reduces the effectiveness of fertility treatments.
- Alcohol Use: Women and men should avoid alcohol use while they are trying to get pregnant. It can decrease sperm count and increase the risk of birth defects.
- Being Overweight: Men and women who would like to have a baby should lead an active lifestyle as being inactive and overweight may increase infertility risk.
What Can Be Done?
If you are facing infertility, understand that there are a number of treatments that can help you and your partner become parents. Regardless of whether the infertility is caused by a man or woman, one or a combination of the following treatments may help:
- Ovulation induction
- In-vitro fertilization
- Intrauterine Insemination
- Fertility preservation
- Minimally invasive surgery
Schedule an Appointment at Raleigh OB/GYN Centre
If you are under 35 and healthy and have tried to get pregnant for a year with no success or over 35 and healthy and have not been able to conceive after six months of trying, schedule an appointment at our office today. We can help you achieve your dream of parenthood.